Teacher for Visually Impaired
Bachelor of Science Degree with certification in Exceptional Education. Knowledge of curriculum for the multiply disabled. Ability to relate well to other staff members, students, parents and community groups. Ability to lift and physically manage multiply handicapped students.
To provide educational services in a manner which Aspire Center for Learning creates the conditions under which persons with developmental disabilities and similar multiple needs experience opportunities to make choices, opportunities to develop and achieve, participation in the community, relationships with family members, friends, and neighbors, good health and a secure personal future, and respect and dignity.
Critical and crucial to the position’s essential function is the safety of the people Aspire Center for Learning serves. Due to the nature of the individuals we serve, the essential functions require all the duties and responsibilities listed below to be performed in all environments and using all appropriate equipment.
Essential Physical Functions are the ability to:
- Bend, stoop, squat, kneel, sit, stand and lift.
- Provide two-way communications with people.
- Lift and transfer the individual both manually and mechanically. Manual lifting requires the ability to lift individuals as required in their prescribed individual program plans; bearing the weight of that individual. Mechanical lifting will be performed using proper mechanical lifting standards, and based on the safety of the individual.
- Transfer, move, reposition, shift, and place people in pieces of equipment necessary for their physical circumstance ensuring their safety, comfort, and their natural living conditions.
- Physical agility/ability to react to a life-threatening emergency or to intervene in a crisis situation including using your body as an intervention (SCIP or other techniques), as prescribed, to assure safety of the individuals. Physical agility/ability includes but is not limited to bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, sitting, standing and lifting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates the understanding of the central concepts, tools of inquiry and structures of the disciplines s/he teaches and creates learning experiences that make these aspects of subject matter meaningful for students.
- Demonstrates an understanding of how students with broad ranges of ability learn and provides instruction that supports their intellectual, social and personal development.
- Demonstrates an understanding of how students differ in their approaches to learning and the barriers that impede learning and can adapt instruction to meet the diverse needs of students, including those with disabilities and exceptionalities.
- Uses a variety of instructional strategies including the use of technology to encourage student’s development of critical thinking, problem solving and performance skills (TEACCH, direct instruction, visual, auditory, hand over hand etc).
- Uses individual and group motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning and self-motivation.
- Demonstrates effective verbal and nonverbal communication techniques as well as instructional media and technology to foster active inquiry, collaboration and supportive interaction in the classroom.
- Organizes and plans systematic instruction based upon knowledge of subject matter, students, and the community and curriculum goals.
- Uses formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate and insure the continuous intellectual, social and physical development of the student.
- Continually evaluates the effects of his/her choices and actions on the students, parents, professional in the learning community and others and who actively seeks out opportunities to grow professionally.
- Fosters relationships with school colleagues, parents and agencies in the larger community to support student learning and well being and who acts with integrity, fairness and in and ethical manner.
- Adheres to Agency’s policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.